With so many individuals getting their real estate license, it can be difficult to know if you have found yourself a good real estate agent. Many real estate agents get their license and find themselves on their own in a brokerage with no training to figure out the real estate game. Do you want to be the practice run for that real estate agent representing you? In this article, you will find some tips on how to choose the right real estate agent for you for both buying and selling. Read on if you are interested in some tips to finding the best real estate agent for you.
FIND A LOCAL REAL ESTATE AGENT
Who would know the area you are looking to buy or sell in better than a local real estate agent? It's definitely not the agent in the next County.
However, in our area I see far too many signs in seller's yards with real estate agents from the two counties surrounding Box Elder County. In many cases the agents are over an hour away. Why so far away? Most likely it's because the seller is looking to get a 'discount' on the real estate commission. So they find a discount broker. However, that discount agent is doing far less to get your home sold. There is no discount when your home sits on the market getting stale. Buyers are going to offer less when your property has sat on the market too long.
As a buyer, you will want to have a local real estate agent just for the mere fact that the local real estate agent will know the way to the homes in the area. A local real estate agent are also helping other buyers in the area, and in many cases have already seen the home that you are interested in. They will be able to give you insight on the condition of the property before you step foot inside.
What are the benefits to having a local agent?
- They know the area and the real estate market giving you insight on what a home would be worth in today's market.
- They are able to inform you of the surroundings of the home you are looking to buy or sell.
- They work with the other local real estate agents, which means that they communicate about the homes in the area. They communicate about what their buyers are looking for and what homes are going to be coming up on the market. This helps to match up buyers and sellers quickly.
- A local real estate agent is easier to meet up with to discuss your real estate needs.
FIND AN AGENT WITH A GOOD REPUTATION
Research real estate agents in the area you are looking to buy or sell in. A google search is a great way to start. It will show you the local real estate agencies on google maps. You can check the reviews this way as well. You may also want to confide in your friends and family to see if they have had a good experience with a local real estate agent. But, I would still get online and check out that agent to form your own opinion. It's even more important to research real estate agents if you are a first-time home buyer. You need to be able to trust your agent with your first biggest investment.
What are the benefits of having a real estate agent with a good reputation?
- You will know they will have your best interest throughout the entire buying or selling process.
- They aren't out for just the commission check. Agents with a good reputation care about their career; therefore, they will do what they can to ensure a good experience for you.
FIND A REAL ESTATE AGENT THAT IS ACTIVE ONLINE
Research shows that 90% of home buyers start their search online. Therefore, your real estate agent should be online as well. A real estate agent that is interested in being found will be on multiple social media sites like linkedin, pinterest, google+, twitter, and facebook. They will have a website. They will also have taken the time to 'claim' their name on the large real estate sites like realtor.com, zillow, and trulia. If you find the agent hasn't claimed their names, then that may also mean they aren't going to expose your real estate listing to the max.
What are the benefits of having a real estate agent active online?
- They will have exposure to more buyers and sellers to help match you with the right property. Remember 90% of home buyers start their search online.
- An online real estate agent will expose your home to more home buyers. This means higher visibility, and a quicker sale.
FIND A REAL ESTATE AGENT WITH THEIR OWN WEBSITE
Having a real estate website is important. It allows a real estate agent to be the online go-to resource for both buyers and sellers. It also means that the real estate agent is serious about their career as you have to pay to run a website. They want to be a resource for the home buyers and sellers. Please note that not all Realtors® websites are created equal. Be sure that the real estate agent you are researching has a website fit for both home buyers and sellers. Also check to see if the real estate agent blogs regularly about helpful real estate topics, and market statistics. It takes time to come up with original blog content and research the market statistics. A lazy real estate agent would not take the time to do all these great things.
What are the benefits of a real estate agent having their own websites?
- The agent is looking to stand above the rest, and that is a good thing.
- The agents website is a place you can get to know them.
- You can do your own research on which properties you are interested in.
- The real estate agent can share your listing from their website where an interested buyer will have direct contact to the agent.
FIND A REAL ESTATE AGENT THAT IS AVAILABLE TO FIT YOUR SCHEDULE
In today's world life is super busy, and it's hard to coordinate times with a crazy schedule. Be sure to find an agent that is flexible and willing to meet with you day, night, or weekends depending on your schedule. Real estate agents don't work a 9-5 schedule. One of the reasons most real estate agents got into the business is for the flexibility. The phone rings (or dings with text messaging) day and night and even weekends.
Your real estate agent should be flexible; however, you should still be considerate to their time as well. They still have a life.
What are the benefits of working with a flexible real estate agent?
- You won't have to take off work to begin the journey of home buying or selling.
- If you have a question, or need assistance, a flexible agent will be able to get back to you in a timely manner. No waiting until the 'office' opens.
FIND AN AGENT WITH GREAT COMMUNICATION
Your real estate agent should have great communication skills. Whether it be via in person, over the phone, text, or email your real estate agent should be willing to stay in contact with you the way you want to be contacted. These days most real estate agents have a smart phone, which makes it super easy to stay in touch even via email. Go ahead and give this a try. Send an email to the top three agents you have in mind. Then see how long it takes to get a response, and how well they respond. This will give you a feel for the agent before you even speak with them.
What are the benefits of a real estate agent with great communication?
- You will always know what is going on in the buying or selling process.
- Your questions will be answered in a timely manner.
- The agent will keep in touch with you and be honest with you at all times.
DESIGNATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS ARE A PLUS
There are many real estate agents that do the absolute minimum to stay a real estate agent. You might call the lazy listing agent a post and pray Realtor®. If your real estate agent is serious about their career, they will do what they can to further their education and expertise by obtaining one or more designations or certifications. There are many classes that the real estate agent can take to improve their skills. These designations and certifications that can be obtained are to improve the agents expertise in areas of the internet, short sales and foreclosures, buyer representation, seller representation, and many more.
What are the benefits of using a Realtor® with designations?
- The real estate agent will be more knowledgeable.
- You will know that they take their career seriously.
- You will be working with a great agent.
I hope that I have given you some things to think about before you run out and talk to the first agent that you see. Buying and selling a home are both very big moves, and you want to make sure that you have a top real estate agent in your corner. I have written this to go for both buying and selling. In the future I will write separate articles on how the find the best agent for buying a home and for selling a home. Feel free to share your thoughts and remember to subscribe to our blog below to continue to get tips and news about all things real estate.
10 Things to Expect From Your Real Estate Agent When Buying a Home via Kyle Hiscock
How to Interview a Realtor via Bill Gassett
The above article 7 Things To Consider When Choosing A Realtor® was provided by Angela Duong. Angela can be reached email@example.com or by phone at 435-225-5200. With over 10+ years experience, if you're thinking of selling or buying, I would love to share my marketing knowledge and expertise.
Love what you read? Subscribe to our Blog!
Hi there! I'm Angela Duong, a REALTOR® in Northern Utah with Coldwell Banker Tugaw Realtors. I am the owner of this website MADHomesUtah.com and I enjoy helping home buyers and home sellers through the process of buying and selling real estate. I have a passion for technology, marketing, helping people, and creating informational content on this website. Please feel free to comment below, or share this article socially.